Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Fortress of Despair


The infamous Fortress of Despair was constructed by the mad lich, Xygarien. In order to protect the only means of his true destruction, the paranoid wizard designed this forlorn dungeon to confuse, confound and horribly maim any would-be heroes.


This was my submission for Chris Perkins' dungeon map contest. I can't believe I won! Congratulations to Sersa Victory for making the cut as well (epic work as always).

I would have liked more time to tinker with the fine details, but  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It was really fun drawing an old school Gygaxian sprawl like this. It makes me want to go dust off the old 2e books (although maybe that's just all the D&DNext talk lately).

Go vote for it now!

http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dmxp/20120412

Cheers,

Rob

4 comments:

  1. That is a magnificent fucking map!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, sir!

      It's remarkable how much of my time recently got sucked into the details of this one.

      My favourite detail is the compass rose... if that doesn't literally scream DESPAIR, I don't know what does!

      Delete
  2. It's a bit late, but this is a fantastic map. I may use this one when we do the DnD Next playtest...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, man; it's never too late for praise :) If you do end up using it, I'd love to hear all about it.

      Delete